One of the most important aspects of leadership is leading yourself. To be a healthy leader and effectively lead your team, you have to know how you’re doing. You have to process your emotions, fears and anxieties to make sure you’re leading well.
A unique challenge facing many church tech leaders right now is live streaming. With almost all churches moving to online worship, it’s tempting to wrap your identity up in how well you execute online worship. I myself have been tempted to produce things at such a high level, feeling I have to prove myself to others. I have to check my own motivations and make sure I’m not doing something just because I want to, but making decisions based on what I know is best for our church community.
One of the most important things we can do as technical leaders, in addition to caring for our families and teams, is to healthily process our own thoughts, fears and emotions in this unexpected season.
3 questions for leading yourself
To help you process this new season, here are 3 questions our pastor sent our church in his weekly email, inspired by Jared Mackey at TNL Denver.
- First, what has the Coronavirus outbreak taken away from you? This is a question of lament. It’s good to grieve what has been lost, whether graduations or soccer seasons, whether a job or an embrace of a grandparent.
- Second, what has the Coronavirus outbreak not taken away from you? This is a question of gratitude, helping foster awareness of those things that God has given that endure.
- Finally, what has the Coronavirus outbreak given to you? This is the question of blessing, as you open your eyes to new things God has brought into your life through this crisis, whether it’s more time with your children, new connections with neighbors, or a new skill. Grief, Awareness, Blessing. Fullness of life includes all three.
Take some time this week to process how you’re doing so you can better lead those you’re called to lead.
Again, here are the questions:
- What has the Coronavirus outbreak taken away from you?
- What has the Coronavirus outbreak not taken away from you?
- What has the Coronavirus outbreak given to you?